This diet is centered on foods from plants, which means eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, beans, seeds, nuts, and healthy oils. The ultimate plant-based diet is eating all healthy plant foods while reducing intake of animal foods like dairy, fish, eggs, meat. The main difference between a plant-based diet versus a vegan diet is eliminating animal products, but not completely. Also, processed foods such as cookies can be vegan but not so nutritious!
There can be many reasons you have chosen a plant-based diet such as a healthy lifestyle, losing weight or your concern for animals.
By choosing a plant-based diet, you will have lower cholesterol levels, increased energy, and a better heart! Researchers tell us that consuming a plant-based diet will reduce the risk of getting heart disease or diabetes. Another benefit is a good intake of vitamins, fiber, and minerals that fruits and vegetables have a lot of!
I have good news for you. You can eat when you’re hungry and continue eating until you are full. You do not need to count your portions and calories! They will make you feel full so you will eat less starchy foods and animal products.
Are you ready for the tips?
- Don’t try it all at once, start slow and take one step at a time. You can start with one new vegetable each week or aim to have 3/4 of your plate be made up of fruits, vegetables, and grains. Try to start with 1-2 meatless meals per week.
- You can take your favorite recipe such as burgers and make it a veggie burger. Or you can make tofu instead of chicken! Replace your cream in your coffee with non-dairy milk.
- Don’t stress or beat yourself up. After all, eating more plant-based products is better than less.
- Sort through your kitchen and give away or toss any food that isn’t beneficial to you!
- Find like-minded people, so you can be together on this journey! You can inspire and help each other out.
- Check out Indian, Thai, Japanese, and Lebanese dishes! They are healthy dishes and full of flavor
- Eat more foods of the plant-based ones you already love!
Don’t think you are being deprived, as the food on this diet is delicious and nutritious!